“Art without emotion is like chocolate cake without sugar. It makes you gag” (Anderson 2018)
The 20 Book Challenge is coming to a close, so I am trying to fit in the last of my books within the next couple of weeks. This week, I wanted to read another graphic novel. I really enjoyed Hey, Kiddo, which I have made a previous post about. I decided on Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. I have read the original version before and really enjoyed it, but I think I liked the graphic novel version better.
This book deals with very serious subject matter. In the summer of her freshman year, Melinda decides to attend a party, where she meets a boy named Andy, who is a senior. Andy rapes Melinda, who is left in shock. She tries to call the police, but she finds herself unable to speak. This event causes Melinda to become completely mute with no way of expressing her feelings. She turns to art to express how she is feeling. She becomes weighed down with trauma and becomes even more withdrawn and depressed. By the end of the book, Melinda is able to tell her ex-best friend about the incident. Andy tries to attack Melinda, but she is able to fight back and get help. The truth spreads around the school, and the students become more understanding towards Melinda.
While the topics within the book are difficult to discuss, I believe it could help some students. Melinda deals with post-traumatic stress disorder, something that many people have to deal with. Some students may benefit from reading about a character who is going through similar things as them. This book, whether it be the original or graphic novel version, can help students find their own voices, just as Melinda found hers.
One more week to go! Check-in next week for my last book post!

Kaylee,
ReplyDeleteThis book sounds like a good book to read. Situations like Melinda's happen too often. I knew a girl in a similar situation who used art to express her feelings too We need to teach our students how to cope with situations like this and be the person they can come to. I love graphic novels because the pictures help tell the story. Thanks for sharing your ideas!
I agree with Brooke's comment. Along with perhaps identifying with a character who is going through similar things as the reader, this book offers a way to cope. The story itself may help students understand what happened to them and heal. But they also may find a way to express their own emotions through art. Especially with funding being taken away from art programs in school, and the fact that America doesn't seem to really value art, students aren't really introduced to this way of expression/coping anymore.
ReplyDelete